Carolinas Associated General Contractors (CAGC) has recognized three individuals and 12 construction projects with its annual Pinnacle Awards.
“Pinnacle entries are judged on unique aspects and challenges; special values; project management; budget and schedule; and safety performance,” the association said a statement after the awards were presented at its was held at its 101st Annual Convention in Charleston, SC in January.
Build with the Best Pinnacle Awards went to:
- Fiorella Horna with El Centro Hispano
- Bill Whitley with Curtis Media Group
- Lissette Velez with the Hispanic Contractors Association of the Carolinas
“In 2020, the CAGC Foundation received a grant of $3.75 million from the North Carolina General Assembly for construction pandemic mitigation and education outreach,” the CAGC awards citation says. “The sum of $3.0 million was used to make subgrants to businesses, non-profits and other eligible groups for mitigation efforts related to health and safety measures in workplaces and jobsites. The additional $750,000 was used to make subgrants to media organizations, businesses and non-profits for multilingual education, training and community outreach to construction workers, including those who lack proficiency in the English language.
“Three of the organizations that received grant funding for education and outreach did an outstanding job of working together to coordinate a media and outreach campaign that resulted in CAGC receiving the AGC of America Public Relations Chapter Award. These three organizations – Curtis Media Group, El Centro Hispano, and the Hispanic Contractors Association of the Carolinas – met frequently to craft multi-lingual COVID health and safety messages. By partnering rather than competing, the individuals representing these organizations prevented duplication of effort, conflicting messaging, and most importantly maximized the amount of funding that allowed the campaign to expand its reach. These three individuals also sought the input of CAGC staff and members for guidance and direction, and included two of our CAGC board members for several of the radio advertisements.”
Project-based Pinnacle Awards include:
Best Building Projects
- Belltower at North Carolina State University: Raleigh, NC – New Atlantic Contracting. Inc.
- Riverfront Park: Wilmington, NC – Clancy & Theys Construction Company
- Common Desk Wilmington: Wilmington, NC – Monteith Construction
- The Greg Poole, Jr. All Faiths Chapel: Raleigh, NC – Barnhill Contracting Company
Best Highway Projects
- US 421 / I-40 Business Reconstruction: Winston-Salem, NC – Flatiron, Blythe Development
- SCDOT SC 9 over Broad River, Lockhart Canal, Lockhart Drive and Canal Road: Lockhart, SC – Crowder
- US17 Maysville Bypass: Maysville, NC – Balfour Beatty Infrastructure, Branch CivilShow
I-77 Over Catawba River Emergency Bridge Replacement: Rock Hill, SC – United Infrastructure Group
- Toxaway Pedestrian Suspension Bridge Design Build Project: Lake Jocassee, SC – Crowder
Best Utility Projects
- Walhalla WTP and Raw Water Intake: Wallhalla, SC – Harper General ContractorsShow
Town Creek Culvert: Greenville, NC – Trader Construction
- Greenville Water System – Hillandale Project: Greenville, SC – Langston Construction Company
2021 Construction Excellence Awards
The CAGC Construction Excellence Awards honor projects recognized by the CAGC Pinnacle Award Judges as projects of distinction.
Duke University, Wilkinson Building, Durham, NC
General Contractor: Skanska USA Building
Plum Island Water Pollution Control Plant – Phase 3 Capital Improvements, Charleston, SC
General Contractor: Crowder Construction Company
Novant Health Heart Vascular Institute and Cancer Institute, Charlotte, NC
General Contractor: Vannoy Construction
Greenville Southwest Bypass, Greenville, NC
General Contractor: Barnhill Contracting Company
US 15 Over Indian Fields Swamp Bridge Replacement, St. George, SC
General Contractor: United Infrastructure Group, Inc.
Watauga County Community Recreation Center, Boone, NC
General Contractors: Harper Corporation General Contractors
US 123 – Cold In-Place Recycling, Pickens County, SC
General Contractor: King Asphalt Inc.