The Guess Corporation says it is getting closer to developing and building a planned National Security Park in Greensboro. It says Meridian Realty of Winston-Salem has been selected as the company’s real estate broker to handle site selection.
A news release says: “Two sites have been selected for the development which will be a 100-acre campus. The announcement continues:
The National Security Park is expected to be a multi-billion dollar development with the latest technologies put in place along with technology enhanced office towers. There will be five buildings: bio-terrorism research center, cybersecurity research center, infectious disease research center, sustainability research center and energy research center. All centers will include around the clock real-time monitoring centers that connect to the field operations of government agencies and provide intelligence and security solutions through predictive modeling.
The Guess Corporation is developing the National Security Park and will manage the park on behalf of a non-profit organization to be formed. The park will hold its own intellectual property portfolio which will come as a result of solutions developed by the park and its members. Private sector companies may become permanent and/or long-term members of the park and share in the creation of solutions and the revenue to be derived as a result of contracts the park will have with various parties. The Guess Corporation intends to offer membership rights beginning at $25 million for a long-term membership agreement. A unit of The Guess Corporation is acquiring the land. The property will remain owned by The Guess Corporation but will be leased to the National Security Park’s non-profit parent organization.
Similar to a university, the National Security Park will have chancellors and deans for the various research division. The Guess Corporation intends to establish partnerships with area educational institutions as well. The park is expected to generate 10,000 jobs over five years, most of those positions will be workers that are employed on-site at the park. The Guess Corporation expects to complete the site selection by August of 2016 and break ground by October 2016.
Documentation about the Guess Corporation is scanty.
According to North Carolina state corporation registration information, senior executives (Lauren Hickman is listed as the company president) operate from 6255 Towncenter Dr. in Clemmons, NC. A Yelp listing indicates this street address is a Goin’Postal mailbox rental franchise location.
According the March 10, 2014 website view available through the Wayback Machine (archive.org), the company made these assertions:
The Guess Corporation Company, Inc. (TGC) is a private holding and operating company. TGC was incorporated as a business corporation in North Carolina in 2012. Currently, TGC is privately-held, but intends to become a public company by September 2015. The company was capitalized using contributions of interest from its principal shareholders (family entities). TGC acquires existing businesses, but we also launch turn-key businesses.
TGC is a very aggressive company. We believe in maximizing resources and opportunities to achieve perpetual success. We are addicted to winning. Our employees are trained to be entrepreneurial, enabling them to use their experience and best judgment to make key decisions. We are seeking opportunities throughout the U.S., as well as internationally. It is our objective to acquire companies and launch ventures in days, not weeks.
Unlike private equity firms or hedge funds, we seek long-term growth in revenue and earnings, and have no interest in “buying and flipping”. As a result, we build strong relationships with employees, customers, shareholders, and the community, given we are focused on the long-term success of the companies we acquire and/or launch.
Within the next five years, we plan to own and operate over 250 companies, in which we generate over $100 billion in annual gross revenues, and at least $1 billion in annual pre-tax earnings.
The current website says the company’s executive includes Mariah Graves, president; Lauren Hickman, senior executive vice-president/chief administrative officer and secretary-treasurer; Lucy Shaffer Doherty, senior executive vice-president/chief corporate officer and deputy secretary-treasurer; Briana Urbina, senior executive vice-president/chief counsel officer, Jason Allen, executive vice-president/global managing director and counsel.
The website also asserts the company has the following businesses:
- The Guess Diamond Group, LLC (includes The Guess Diamond Company, LLC as principal subsidiary) – diamond dealer
- The Guess Winery Company, LLC – wine producer and distributor
- The Guess Chocolate Company, Ltd. – chocolate producer and distributor
- The Guess Lumber Company, LLC – lumber distributor
- The Guess Healthcare Company, Ltd. – launching in 2016 as a contract healthcare services provider
- The Guess Private Merchant Company, Ltd. – launching in 2016 as an ultra-luxury merchandise provider
- The Guess Private Jet Company, LLC – private jet dealer and charter broker
- The Guess Publishing Company, LLC – publisher of magazines, books and directories
- The Guess Gaming Company, LLC – launching in 2016 as a casino developer and operator
- The Guess Development Company, Ltd.. – luxury community developer
- The Guess Construction Company, Ltd. – launching in 2016 as a luxury residential and commercial builder
- The Guess Bread Company, Ltd. – bread producer and distributor
- The Guess Private Club Company, Ltd. – launching in 2016 as an operator of hotels, resorts, country clubs and golf clubs
- The Guess Beverage Company, LLC – beverage producer and distributor
- The Guess Bottling Company, LLC – launching in 2016 as a licensed specialty drink bottler
- The Guess Water Company, LLC – launching in 2016 as a premium bottled water producer and distributor
- The Guess Haircare Company, LLC – specialty hair treatment producer and distributor
- The Guess Automotive Company, Inc. – launching in 2016 as global ultra-luxury and exotic automobile dealer
- The Guess Private Art Company, LLC – fine art dealer
- The Guess Private Limousine Company, LLC – ultra-luxury transportation provider
- The Guess Private Realty Company, LLC – ultra-luxury home marketing
- The Guess Private Yacht Company, LLC – mega-yacht dealer
- The Guess Private Island Company, LLC – exclusive private island marketing
- The Guess Coffee Company, LLC- coffee marketing
- The Guess Tea Company, LLC – specialty tea marketing
- The Guess Hotel Company, LLC – ultra-luxury hotel developer
- The Guess Spa Company, LLC – ultra-luxury spa and salon operator
- The Guess Piano Company, LLC – exclusive piano marketing
- The Guess Theater Company, LLC – theatrical productions
Image: Wayback Machine screenshot of Guess Corporation’s website as it appeared in 2014.