Five AIA Contract Documents are going green. Developed using the American Institute of Architect’s flagship documents as a base, and incorporating concepts and model language from the AIA’s Guide for Sustainable Projects, the new documents address the unique roles, risks and opportunities encountered on sustainable design and construction projects.
“The development of these new documents for sustainable projects is a natural next step following the release of the Guide for Sustainable Projects in the spring,” said Ken Cobleigh, Managing Director and Counsel for AIA Contract Documents Content. “We continue to see a demand for incorporating sustainable elements in projects. The AIA Contract Documents program continues to revise existing documents and develop new documents and guides, as necessary, to remain current with trends and changes in the industry and law.”
The new AIA Contract Documents created for use on sustainable projects include:
1. A101™-2007 SP, Standard Form of Agreement between Owner and Contractor, for use on a Sustainable Project where the basis of payment is a Stipulated Sum
2. B101™-2007 SP, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect, for use on a Sustainable Project
3. A201™-2007 SP, General Conditions of the Contract for Construction, for use on a Sustainable Project
4. C401™-2007 SP, Standard Form of Agreement Between Architect and Consultant, for use on a Sustainable Project
5. A401™-2007 SP, Standard Form of Agreement Between Contractor and Subcontractor, for use on a Sustainable Project
AIA Document D503™-2011, Guide for Sustainable Projects, including Agreement Amendments and Supplementary Conditions, was released by the AIA in May 2011. In the short time since it was released, over 4000 users have downloaded the Guide. In addition to providing model language that may be used to amend or supplement AIA Contract Documents for design-bid-build projects, the Guide discusses the applicability of key concepts to other delivery models such as design-build, construction management and integrated project delivery.
Because the AIA believes the Guide is an important resource for the design and construction industry, it is available as a free download at www.aia.org/sustainableprojectsguide. The new documents will be available in the first quarter of 2012 as part of the new AIA Contract Documents service and AIA Documents on Demand®. To purchase these and other AIA Contract Documents, click here.