$19 million approved to acquire flood-prone properties

0
183
Image Credit: Wikipedia Commons | Image Link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flooding_in_North_Carolina_after_Florence.jpg

The State of North Carolina and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are approving nearly $19 million to eliminate flood risks at certain repetitively damaged properties in North Carolina following Hurricane Florence.

The funds will acquire 130 residential structures to convert them to open spaces and conserve natural floodplain functions at the following locations:

  • Bladen County, $954,000 for five structures
  • Brunswick County, $1.2 million for five structures
  • City of Jacksonville, $1.7 million for 16 structures
  • City of New Bern, $191,000 for three structures
  • Columbus County, $1.1 million for 12 structures
  • Cumberland County, $177,000 for two structures
  • Craven County, $688,000 for six structures
  • Jones County, $6.2 million for 31 structures
  • Moore County, $945,000 for 13 structures
  • New Hanover County, $2.2 million for 11 structures
  • Onslow County, $821,000 for six structures
  • Robeson County, $1.2 million for six structures
  • Sampson County, $1 million for eight structures
  • Town of Tabor City, $623,000 for six structures

The FEMA reimburses 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state. The agency’s share for these projects is more than $14.1 million and the state’s share is approximately $4.7 million.

The agency provides funding for property acquisitions through its Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. The HMGP funding encourages states and local governments by funding projects to help communities eliminate or reduce disaster-related damage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.